Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Beans! Beans!! Beans!!!


On August 1st Dave and I headed out to the Taylor garden to pick some beans. Little did we know that 3 1/2 hours later we would finish with 8 five gallon buckets of beans! This was the biggest picking of beans we have EVER had. I knew I needed help so when my Grandma Taylor called and asked if she could snap I quickly took a bag over to her. Karalee also came over to our house to snap the beans and between her, my girls and Dave the beans got snapped. My job was to put them in jars and start the pressure cooking over at my Mom's. We had to get 2 canners going and still did not complete the task of putting up 87 QUARTS of beans until midnight! It was an exhausting day but as my Dad would say, "You never know what next year will bring" so I guess I should be grateful!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Wow, that's lots of beans! I have good memories of gardens while growing up in Chubbuck, especially the Taylor's corn on the cob.

Shauna said...

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! Absolutely unbelievable!!!! That was a ton of beans, now I am lucky to get 5 quarts up. You hit the peak picking..biggest family so I guess you hit it right. I don't know anyone else who could have handled that big of a picking. Way to go Stepanita!!!!