This is the Tracy General Store in Almo. In the summer when I went to spend the week with Grandma and Grandpa, Grandpa would let me either drive his car (I was only 13 or 14 years old) or the motorcycle there to get the mail (Box 142, I think) and a treat. There was a very old cash register there and Grandma would always put my treat on her "tab". Grandma's friends were always nice and told others at the store that I was Randy's oldest daughter. The worst part about the store is that I didn't want to see Wayne (for those of you that remember him) because Grandma told me to not talk to him. :)
This is Almo Elementary where my Dad went to K-8th Grade. My Grandma was a cook for the school lunch here. I always loved to have my Dad tell us stories about his elementary years here.
This is Sunny Cedar Rest (cemetery) where many of my Taylor ancestors are buried. I always loved to hear the stories of the people who were buried in this cemetery and whenever Grandpa would let me drive him around on his red motorcycle I would drive to the cemetery and hope he would tell me some stories.
This mountain looks like the profile of a woman's face. I've tried to point this out to my children many times but none of them can see it. It is one of the ways I know that we are in Almo.
As a kid we would always ask when we were going to be there and my Dad would say as soon as you see the red roof house you will know we are in Almo and just a few minutes from Grandma's house.
More pictures of Almo rocks
This 2 bedroom home is the place where my Dad was raised and the home where I came as a child to visit my Grandma and Grandpa Taylor. My Grandpa Taylor built this home out of logs that he cut down. It has changed very much since they sold it a few years ago so it doesn't look like it used to but still reminds me of the good 'ol days. As a child I remember driving up to the house and my Dad's horse Snip was tied up to a post with his saddle on and ready for a few rides. Grandpa also had his red Honda motorcycle parked outside for us to ride.
This tin shed was where my Grandpa kept his motorcycle and the deep freeze where Grandma kept her maple bars and cinnamon rolls. Grandma also kept the box of barbies and barbie doll clothes in here and a lot of other interesting stuff that I liked to look at. This is also where we hung and skinned the many deer that we shot hunting.
These are the rocks near my Grandparent's house. We hunted these mountains on horseback, built fires, and ate our lunches which was my favorite part.
This is the Big Castle rock where we hunted at least one day during hunting season.
I am a pretty sentimental person and Almo holds a lot of wonderful memories of my childhood and memories of my Dad and Grandpa there. Dave commented as we drove home that he felt closer to my Dad while we were there. I think it is probably because of all the memories that are there.
5 comments:
Thank you for the informative blog Steph.
Good job, Steph! I loved reading that.I need to get those pictures from you.You forgot to take pictures of the store
I wish I could have heard grandpa tell me about his years in school. you should tell me some of the stories that he told you.
There is alot of memories in Almo...Dad always said it was a great place to grow up. I love Almo and seeing pics of our time there is great!!!
Steph, I saw the lady's profile. I've never been to Almo and didn't know how beautiful the mountains were. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment