Sunday, December 14, 2008
Soup Kitchen
Our family had the privledge of serving lunch at the Salvation Army soup kitchen yesterday. I took on this assignment from my bishop and wanted to include my family in providing and serving the meal. We had served in the soup kitchen 2 years ago at Christmas time and it was such a good experience for all of us that I knew everyone would be willing to do it again. It was suggested that I take 2 whole hams that were leftover from our Ward Christmas party and serve it at the Salvation Army. I also took all the leftover rolls and enough baked potatoes to make 4 pans of funeral potatoes. All we had to supply was the salad and dessert and paper goods. We served about 30 people and many came back for 2nd and 3rd heaping plates! It was a very cold day and many of them said they were late to the lunch because they were standing in line for coats at the free coat drive. I love to serve the Salvation Army at Christmas time because it puts this busy time of year into perspective. There are many gifts that we give to each other at Christmas time, but what gifts do we give to the Savior? Yesterday the thought came to me..."Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." By serving them, we serve Him. As always it is a humbling experience to see how others live. We are a very blessed family and it was our privledge to serve them yesterday.




Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Awesome post!! Sure love you
Oh that is so awesome!! We have done that once before and it was such a NEAT experience!! It seems like it was so long ago, though...I hope to make it a tradition someday! Thanks for posting about this!
Thanx for all you did to help with the potatoes and ham and being there to serve. It was a good day!
Post a Comment