Friday, December 12, 2008

Boys are JOY!


Wow! Where has the time gone? Today McKay turned 5 years old and it feels like just yesterday that he was born. I've thought a lot this week about the circumstances and events leading up to and following his birth 5 years ago. It was a scary and uncertain time for us. I would have never known when I first saw that little baby hooked up to tubes and a ventilator and holding on to dear life just how very precious this boy would be to me.

McKay had surgery when he was 2 days old to remove the large teratoma that he was born with and recovered in Primary Children's Medical Center for 4 weeks. At 31 weeks (7 weeks early) he was born 8 lbs. and 5 oz. and after surgery he weighed 4 lbs. 7 oz.!!! He is our little miracle baby! Truly a miracle. A lot of prayers were answered and faith strengthened in our trial with McKay and we are the better for it.

In the first hours after McKay was born I felt disconnected from him. Unlike my three healthy daughters, I was unable to hold him for a week! I never heard him cry until the ventilator was removed. I always felt bad that I didn't have a chance to bond with him immediately like I did with the girls but we have more than made up for it now. I think he adores me ALMOST as much as I adore him! We have a very special bond and I thank my Heavenly Father everyday that he let us experience the joy of raising such a precious son.

McKay's 1st Birthday

McKay's 2nd Birthday

McKay's 3rd Birthday

McKay's 4th Birthday

McKay's 5th Birthday
Here is our Superhero on his 5th Birthday! I should have taken pictures earlier because I just brought home McKay's Incredible Hulk cake and our dumb dog Pepper got up on the table and ate a chunk of it. I guess someday we will laugh, but not today! Happy 5th Birthday McKay!!! We love you soooooo much!

7 comments:

Jess and Whitni said...

Wow, what a precious little boy! Truly a miracle, you guys are so blessed! Happy Birthday McKay!! =)

chel said...

Happy Birthday McKay! I remember how stressed everyone was and I remember coming to see you in the hospital in Salt Lake. Your parents and grandparents were stressed but they kept positive. You are a handsome little blessing. Hope you had a great birthday this year!

Joseph and Lauren said...

What a great post! I sure love that Mckay. I am greatful too that you have been given the chance to raise him, because he has touched my life in many ways and has brought me much joy. I love you Mckay.

Jen Hunt said...

Happy Birthday McKay. How time flies! I remember our visit at the hospital in Salt Lake. I can't believe its been five years! Too cute!

Shauna said...

I am not sure what I could say that might not have already been said to your blog about our precious Mckay. He is truly a gift and miracle to our family. I invisioned him then and still do today wearing a white shirt and missionary name tag. I love you Mr. Mac and you truly are Grandpa's little missionary!

Annette said...

Steph-remember when we met at the Salt Lake Temple both at weddings, and both pregnant. You were stressed because of the baby inside, but look how well he turned out. What a great family, and a great little boy!

Cami said...

WOW, i can't imagine the emotional turmoil that you must have gone through. What a blessing to have such a sweet member of your family be such an angel!