Monday, November 17, 2008

Early Christmas Dinner with Grandma Taylor


Banana Cream Pie for dessert!

Grandma was a cook at Almo Elementary School when they used to really COOK school lunch.

Dave and Aubrey ready to "Dig In!" as Grandma reminded us that Grandpa would say!

A few weeks ago my sister emailed all of her siblings and asked us to email her our favorite dinner, salad, vegetable and dessert. Although I thought it was a strange request I responded that our family likes fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, cesaer salad and banana cream pie. My Grandma Taylor called me to invite our family over for dinner and that is just what she served us tonight. When we walked in it smelled sooooo good. There is nothing like Grandma's cooking! She had the table set with Christmas dishes and was just putting the finishing touches on the meal. I know I've heard my Grandmother say many times before that it always tastes better when you don't cook it...It sure does! After I helped Grandma do the dishes (which I had to fight her to allow me to do) she told our kids a story from the book Way To Be! by President Hinckley. It was the story about when he went on strike at school and did not attend school one day. Before he was able to go to school the next day he had to get a note from his mother to return to school. She wrote that Gordon's absence was an "impulse to follow the crowd". Grandma talked to the girls about not following the crowd but being a leader to their friends. I really appreciated Grandmom's efforts to make our evening special. There was only one thing missing there tonight...Grandpa! We all missed him but I sat in his chair and thought a lot about him. What a fun, memorable evening! I can't wait to hear what everyone else chose to eat and how they enjoy their evening with Grandma.

2 comments:

Joseph and Lauren said...

Sounds like it was a nice evening. I am gald that Grandma is doing this for us.

Valerie Housley said...

What a great thing to do!!!