On Martin Luther King Jr. day I was browsing Craigslist and thought I'd type in baby grand pianos in Southeast Idaho and this beautiful 7 year old 5'3'' Yamaha GC1 in Idaho Falls was pictured. Dave was home for the day and I showed it to him and he told me to call them and ask them if it was still available because the posting was about a month old. I called and the seller answered all my questions and invited us to come look at it that day. It actually was a perfect day because Dave had the day off, but before we went I wanted to get a crash coarse on grand pianos so I knew what to look for. We stopped by the Piano Gallery and the salesman was very informative but he wanted to make a sale and tried to discourage us from going to IF. As Dave and I drove to Idaho Falls we discussed what our negotiation tactics would be. Dave reminded me that it is kind of like buying a car, you don't want to let them know that you really want it. When I saw the piano I fell in love. It was EXACTLY what I wanted. Mahogany wood finish, perfect condition with no dents or scratches. It was well cared for and tuned regularly. They had bought it for their daughters and none of them really took off with the piano. I sat down to play and my back was to them and Dave and as I touched the keys and started playing I was grinning from ear to ear. The sound was magnificent, the keys played so easily and I could not stop smiling. When I finished the song I got up from the piano and they all asked what I thought of the piano. Without thinking I blurted out, "I love it! I've gotta have it!" Dave looked at me like "Oh great, Steph! There goes the negotiation." Needless to say I couldn't write out the check fast enough and I didn't even feel one bit of regret...EVER! The next day I called the Piano Gallery and scheduled for them to move the piano from their home to ours and luckily they could do it that day! I was in 7th heaven all day! I felt like a kid at Christmas time. After the movers left and I sat down to play this piano in my home it was actually an emotional time for me as I realized one of my dreams was now a reality and I felt so lucky and blessed.
A few years back I was really discouraged with one or two of my girls and their lack of desire to practice and I sat them all down on the couch one afternoon and we had one of those talks. I told them the reason I really want them to be pianists. Besides the fact that it is a wonderful talent to develop and teaches them dedication, hard work, time management, self confidence, etc. there is much more that I took from my many years at the piano. I told them that as I sat down at the piano and played the hymns and church music that I felt the Spirit stir in my heart and my testimony was developed through the beautiful melodies and words of the music. I feel that as a young woman the seeds of my testimony were planted as I played the piano and accompanied others as they sang in church or special meetings. It was and still is a great blessing in my life. Many times when I need a pick me up or I need to relax I like to sit down at the keys and play.
Piano music is very important to me and I have pretty much pushed it down all 3 of my girls throats! So much, in fact, that when I asked McKay if he wanted to start taking lessons he told me no. I asked him why and he said, "Because I don't want you to be mad at me all the time."
Yes, I can be over the top and take it to the extreme but hopefully someday my children will come to appreciate the talent that they have developed and it will bless their homes and family as it has mine.
7 comments:
Neat story...glad one of your dreams came true.
So very happy for you Steph. If anyone deserves a baby grand it is you. Your children will thank you one day for all the effort. And it looks fabulous in your home and sounds GREAT
The piano is beautiful! I will be sending avery over to practice on it.
It's beautiful Steph!! I wish I could hear you play!
so jealous! i've always wanted a grand piano too, and I also feel very close to the spirit through music. Maybe you should convince your brother that a piano really can make a girl's dreams come true!
Im happy for you, but also a little jealous. Im just hoping one day I will have a regualar old piano. Maybe then I will remeber how to play!
Your piano is beautiful, and it looks great in your living room!!! It will definitely be a blessing...you and your girls have a great talent.
Post a Comment