Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Un-Grounded!

McKay is finally un-grounded from the Wii, PS2, and friends!!! I know that may sound like he really did something terrible, but actually he was only "grounded" for about 2 days. I just knew that if McKay could grow a DESIRE to learn to ride his bike he could do it. He just needed the motivation and desire to learn. So we took away what he likes to do the most (ie., games and friends) and told him he had to learn to ride his bike before he can have those privileges back. He had a fear of falling and crashing and bleeding. All last summer we were unable to work through this fear. He would not even put his feet on the pedals! Well, enough was enough! Dave had the great idea to let him ride on the grass in the backyard to start out. After he got a feel for that they moved to the street. He was our most cautious rider. He would try hard to not hit the garbage cans on the road and then he would steer right into it! I told him to look straight ahead and not at the garbage cans or parked cars and he would miss them. I guess that is a good application to all of us in life. Focus ahead and keep your eye on the mark and don't be distracted by the detractors on the side of the road of life or we crash and burn! Just last night McKay and I rode our bikes around the neighborhood and he LOVES it. He can't wait to get home from school to ride his bike and doesn't want to come in for dinner or take any breaks from riding. Needless to say he has not played his Wii or PS2 since he learned to ride his bike!




3 comments:

Joseph and Lauren said...

That is go great Mckay. I am very proud of you and I can tell you are proud of yourself. Good job Mom and Dad!!

Lynne said...

Lucas had a hard time learning too. I think he was 6 before he learned. Bryan finally took off the petals and that helped him learn balance. It's so funny because once they learn they love it!

Shauna said...

Watching you tonight tells me how much practice you have had McKay and that you are sooooo goooood! Your the bomb! Bring your bike out to Grandma's and we will go on a ride together.