Saturday, October 24, 2009

All Is Safely Gathered In


I think the canning season is officially over, or is it Mom? (She always finds more things for me to can just when I think I am done!) This year was an excellent year for produce in our garden. It is amazing to think that the garden produces enough food to feed 5 families for a year! I am always so happy to look at my food storage, especially what I have canned because it represents a lot of hard work.
Here are my 2009 totals:
Beans: 87 quarts
Corn: 33 quart size freezer bags
Peaches: 29 quart size freezer bags and 8 canned quarts
Salsa: 20 pints
Stewed Tomatoes: 16 quarts
Apple Pie Filling: 11 quarts
Chicken Breasts: 25 quarts
Raspberry Peach Freezer Jam: 20 jars
Raspberry Freezer Jam: 8 jars

Chicken breasts were my newest canning adventure and it was a lot of fun to learn and do with Lauren. The chicken is tender and delicious. It will come in handy on those busy days when I forget to take the meat out of the freezer for dinner or just to add to a casserole. I will do more next year for sure!

Yea for us! Another year down with the huge Taylor garden!!!

8 comments:

Joseph and Lauren said...

Look at that organization!! Looks great!

Bryan and Karalee said...

Looking good Steph! but You still need to amp up on your Wheat, Flour, Oats, Sugar, and Potato Flakes! Wheat is the staff of life.

Lynne said...

That looks so amazing!! My neighbor told me about canning chicken breasts this fall. I'd never thought about canning meat but what a great idea!

Stephanie said...

WOW!!!! I am impressed! I just started working on my food storage this year.....I have a long way to go, but it's coming!!

Shauna said...

You can thank your Dad for all the food storage...because of his dilegence and example we are carrying on. You did GREAT!!! Record year for beans!!!!"Keep up the Good Canning" (By the way there are still apples..any takers?)

Jess and Whitni said...

ummm ya i think i need to come live at the taylor/penrod residence next year sometime and learn how to do canning and tips on food storage!!! wow steph - that looks amazing!!!! you are my hero! jess and i just barely started our food storage and we only have enough for 3 months, but i guess every little bit helps right?!?!

Valerie Housley said...

That is AMAZING and INSPIRING!!!

Roger and Deborah Garner said...

I know how you feel when you have everything on the shelves. It sounds crazy but I used to go into the pantry and just stand there and look at the jars! Great job Steph!