Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Do a Good Turn Daily

McKay LOVES Costco's pepperoni pizza and I needed a few things there this morning so we headed off to Costco before kindergarten. I had to promise him that we would eat FIRST and shop SECOND. But, I stopped to get gas first and McKay took my wallet out of my purse to look at it (it was new and he hadn't seen it yet). He obviously did not return it to my purse because I did not have a wallet when I wanted to pay for his pizza and drink. I remembered he was looking at it so I did not panic but told him to wait there while I run out to the car to retrieve the wallet. Unfortunately, I was wearing my 2 hour shoes so it took me a little longer than usual to run out to the car. When I got back, the employee told me that my friend paid for my pizza and drink. My first thought was "She wasn't my friend!"...I was thinking of the lady that stood behind me in the line who I did not know from Eve. My second thought was "And I won't even be able to thank her." The employee said that the lady behind me in line said she'd like to pay for mine and he assumed that she was my friend. Now, I don't know what provoked her to do this kind deed but it really got me thinking this morning. The whole time McKay and I sat down at the table in Costco my mind was caught up in thinking about her anonymous service and what I needed to learn from it. I made a goal today that I will "pay it forward" and also do a good turn. I really did not need money for our lunch (I think it only cost $3) but I really did need to learn a good lesson today and I am going to try harder to look around for opportunities to anonymously serve others more often. It made my day!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I love how kind strangers can be. I need to remember to do the same.

Shauna said...

You never shared that story with me great blog Steph..."Keep up the good Blogging"

Bryan and Karalee said...

Please no more noise! no more noise!

Cami said...

That happened to me at the soccer store Saturday. Leigh had taken my wallet out of my purse and when I went to pay for the uniform that I needed right away, I had no money. The owner of the store said to just take it and come back in the next few weekd when I could. He didn't even want my name and phone number. I called as soon as I got home with my cc # and paid over the phone, but his generosity saved me 45 minutes of running back home and being late to the game.

Good reminder that there are lots of good people out there...I just need to make sure that I am one of them!