Thursday, May 28, 2009

End Of The School Year Events

I know I must be getting older because I am using the same phrase I heard others say when I was younger..."Where has the time gone?" Dave and I were talking last night about how we remember moving into our home and sending Aubrey off to kindergarten that next fall. Each morning I sent her out the door to meet and walk with some older neighborhood kids. I just can't believe that her elementary days are over. :(
The last two weeks have been very eventful at the school and I'd just like to highlight just a few of the accomplishments of each of my smart, intelligent kids (hey, I am their mother!).

Hallie

Hallie tried out for the 2nd grade talent show in her class and was one of 3 students in her class to perform for all the 2nd grade and their parents. She and I played a piano duet called the Waltz. I messed up a bit as Hallie reminded me when we sat down, but SHE did a fabulous job. Hallie was awarded the Super Citizen Award in the Awards Assembly by her teacher Ms. Magnuson. The Super Citizen Award is presented to one boy and one girl from each class and chosen by the teacher. The award is for exemplary leadership, kindness and cooperation in the class room with the teacher and with her peers. Hallie's reading ability has increased dramatically this year! She was also awarded a reading certificate for taking 240 AR tests, reading 327,014 words and getting 119.1 AR points!!! Yea for Hallie on a job well done in 2nd grade!

Unfortunately, we did not know about the K-3 grade awards and did not see Hallie get her awards so we stopped by her class for a big hug!


My cute 2nd grader

Breanna


Breanna had a great 4th grade year with Mrs. Thompson. This year she learned about Idaho history and last week McKay and I went on a field trip with her class to the Oregon Trail Museum in Montpelier, Idaho and we visited the old town of Chesterfield. It was fun to spend time with Breanna and her class. Breanna and I also played a piano duet in her 4th Grade talent show and of course she did an excellent job. Breanna was the Young Author winner in her class and was able to attend a Young Author's Conference which she enjoyed. She is a very talented and creative writer. Breanna really does well in Math and even enjoys it! She got extra tutoring from Grandpa Randy in math many times before he passed away so that is probably why she does so well. She was awarded a certificate at the awards assembly for receiving a 3.5 on the Direct Math Assessment (DMA). A perfect score is a 4.0. She also received certificates for being a STAR tutor to a 1st grade student and a Personal Best Award in physical education. What an outstanding student Breanna was in 4th grade!!!


Breanna and her friends having lunch on the field trip.

Don't Breanna and I look alike? I WISH...she is so pretty!

After the awards assembly

Aubrey

Aubrey has been working hard on a 10 hour Personal Progress project to make a slide show for her 6th grade class. She completed it and showed it to her class and like the entrepreneur that she is, she is selling copies to the students for $2 a piece. Aubrey was awarded one of the most prestigous awards for 6th grade, the Hope of America award. It is given to one boy and one girl from each 6th grade class based on their scholastic merits, leadership qualities, and overall ethical and moral character. We were given the heads up a week or so before but were not to tell Aubrey so she would be suprised. Grandma and Grandpa Penrod were in town and were able to come as well as Grandma Shauna and Jason, Aime and Avery. Boy was Aubrey suprised! Her face told it all. She was so thrilled and shocked to receive the award. Dave and I had to go to the front to accept the award with her. What an honor for Aubrey to receive the Hope of America. She also was awarded the President's Award for Educational Excellence which is signed by President Obama (not his real signature!), a STAR tutor award and a trophy for serving as the Vice President of the Student Council. Today is Aubrey's 6th grade gradution and I can hardly believe she will be in middle school this fall...for one thing I am not old enough and for another...she is not tall enough!

Telling Grandma and Aime about how suprised she was when her name was called!

Grandpa Penrod and Aubrey

All of us (except Grandma Shauna who is taking the picture)

Aubrey taking her chair back to class after the awards...very happy :)


McKay

Oh, my little preschool graduate! He is the most handsome little boy that has ever existed. He was especially cute in his cap and gown. McKay reports that in preschool he learned the days of the week, how to paint with his fingers, how to read books, and about sharing his new toys.


McKay got silly while parents were trying to take pictures.

McKay and his best buddy Jaxson Long!

What am I going to do when my shadow goes to kindergarten???

Grandma is our family's biggest supporter!

I can just see 13 years in the future...what a handsome boy!

So, yes, I am a very proud mom and hopefully this does not come off offensive to any of you readers, but I do it for my kids to read too!

4 comments:

Shauna said...

Wow...My buttons have popped off my shirt all week long. I am soooo proud of Grandpa's angels and his missionary. They are extra smart,sweet,beautiful,hard working, loving Grandkids. I love them all! What a joy it has been to see this week unfold.

chel said...

Congratuations to all of you!!! I love reading the great accomplishments and their individual personalities. Great job!

Joseph and Lauren said...

Steph, Mckay looks so cute. That is his color. You have to blow that picture up. It is my favorite!!

Roger and Deborah Garner said...

Oh Stephanie, I'm so proud of you and your little family. You must be a super mom to have such great kids!!! I loved reading about their accomplishments and seeing their pictures. Tell Jason that I see his little face in his daughters. :) She is just as cute as he was.