Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

If I was ever asked what my best Mother's Day was and why I would have to say May 13, 2007. In serving my mother that day I was blessed beyond any earthly gift I could have received. That day remains vivid in my memory as it was 5 days before my dad's death. It was that Sunday afternoon that my dad taught me one of the last few sermons he would preach to me through his good life and example.

 From my journal: "I had the privilege of spending that Sunday afternoon with Dad. When I first got there I noticed that Dad was dressed in his white dress shirt, black sweats and black slippers. I asked him why he got dressed up. Mom told me that she was dressed in jeans and a shirt because she wasn't going to church and Dad asked her for a white shirt. She asked him why and he said that he wanted to get dressed in it to take the sacrament when the priests from the ward came. What a great example! He never criticized mom for not dressing in a dress, but instead lead by example. That is the way that my Dad taught."

From this experience I learned how important the Sacrament was to my Dad. I learned that by his attire, he showed respect for the sacred ordinance of the Sacrament. He showed his respect and love for the Savior by reverently preparing himself to take it. I'll never forget him dressed in that white shirt and black sweats. His example taught me to always reverence the sacred ordinance that we can so easily take for granted each Sunday.
My favorite shirts on the quilt my Mom made for me is the white shirts. They have the most meaning to me.

 The second sermon he taught me that afternoon was how to diligently serve the Lord in our responsibilities. Dad was the 2nd counselor in the Tyhee Stake Presidency and was released the Sunday after his death.  My Mom has told us that on Saturday evening the 12th he went downstairs to the computer and compiled information for the seminary graduation program and emailed it. He completed the task that he had been given.

 From my journal: "I sent Mom off for a nap while I sat with Dad and we went through all of his church files. He was organizing his briefcase and papers he had kept with his calling and was cleaning it up so he could have it passed on to the new 2nd counselor in the Tyhee Stake Presidency. My Dad had been informed that he would be released at the Stake Priesthood Meeting on May 20. He was weak and I fed him ice chips as we organized. I'll never forget spending that Mother's Day with him. Usually on this day I get to take a nap and relax as Dave and the kids cater to me. This day I was just happy to stay with my Dad and cater to him and his needs in any way he would let me. I'll never forget helping him organize his papers while he sat on the edge of the bed in his white shirt."

 From this experience I learned how important it was to my Dad to endure to the end. He was the hardest worker I have ever known in my life. By watching him throughout my life, I have learned just how lazy I am. He would tell me while I planted tomato plants that I was a hard worker because I would stick to the job until it stuck to me. I've never forgotten that phrase..."stick to the job". He endured his trials well and left such a beautiful legacy for me and my family.

Today I especially miss him. I have many days and months that go by without the emotional pains that I had daily about 5 years ago. Time has healed my heart, but occasionally that pain and sadness comes back and the tears flow. I thank my Father in Heaven that I have been blessed to be born into the Taylor Family. I was given a healthy and happy start to life by two wonderful parents. I love them both dearly. I can't leave my Mom out on this Mother's Day without saying how precious and dear she is to me. Happy Mother's Day to her!

5 comments:

Bryan and Karalee said...

1. I can't believe you blogged.
2. That was beautiful. That post was worth the almost year wait!


What great memories you have, and how sacred as well..

Lynne said...

Thanks for sharing those stories of your dad. What a great man. Sometimes I'll think of him and all of you and wonder how you all are. He really is an example to live by.

Penradicals said...

I am grateful you have watched and learned from your Dad. He taught us all how to endure to the end...I am grateful to my Heavenly Father everyday that he choose me for his eternal companion. I am blessed beyond words for His blessing of family! I miss him too Stephanie so very much. He is my eternal angel!

Penradicals said...

That was actually your mom's comments!

Stephanie said...

I have wanted to comment on your post for awhile. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience and day. I'm grateful to you for being taught those lessons through your experience with your dad.